A relatively absolute truth for all times (!!) when building your blog or website – “time is of the essence”.
You want to get started quickly, create your content, and be on your way to greatness.
WordPress sites make it easy to create a site. The installations are quick – you just grab the install from WordPress.org website, upload zip file to your host, click some buttons, and it’s done.
Your host may also support one-click installers like Softaculous, or SimpleScripts, which automate the entire process.
The problem starts only later.
For every WordPress site I have ever created, I tend to go back & forth on a million themes. Even after finally finalising the theme on day-2 or day-3, I have woken up completely surprised about my decision on day-100.
This problem becomes acute in affiliate sites. My affiliate sites are light, simple, and focused on a product small enough for me to manage efficiently (well, rank!). Theme decisions cost precious time, but also potentially money.
Issues about look & feel, simple customisation options, and fear of losing business is a bit worrying.
So then, that was the state at which I narrowed down my theme options. Although I still love and stand by my recommendation about the “only theme that any blogger should have“, I will make concessions for affiliate sites.
I started using one of the following three themes in each of the affiliate sites, and never looked back since.
These themes simplify life. They are simple, fast, support sticky content on the home page, and easy to maintain.
Let’s look at the top three WordPress themes for affiliate sites.
1. Splash by MyThemeShop
Splash is not exactly new. I do remember that I had rejected using this theme a few times since I was disappointed with what the free theme Point could (or couldn’t) do.
But, I was forced to reconsider my disposition towards this theme when Spencer and Perrin considered Splash for their niche experiment site. When I had a look at the site created, I got hooked.
It was only a few weeks later that I got try this on one of my sites. And, what can I say – I did like working with the theme. What more – I don’t hate it even after three months. I don’t have that sinking feeling that things are not going right as far as look & feel of the site goes!
Apart from the typography and looks, Splash provides some great features.
- Splash is 100% responsive
- Home page layouts are flexible. You can create a different looking site at the click of a button
- Has a beautiful review system that is simple to set up and operate
- Splash comes with social sharing buttons that are easy to set up and fast loading
- Custom widgets from MyThemeShop are great for tasks like showing related posts, popular posts or to even show the recent reviews
- Allows unlimited customization to colours and background
For all the functionalities that it offers, Splash is fast. They have my money for the next bunch of affiliate sites I create!
Splash theme costs $35.
Or, you can opt for $99 plan that provides all the 120+ themes by MyThemeShop.
2. AffiloTheme by AffiloRama
Known to affiliate marketers for quite some time is the AffiloTheme by AffiloRama.
As the name suggests this theme is specifically designed for affiliate sites. It is clean, fast and efficient.
I got my hands on this theme when I went through the now-defunct AffiloBlueprint course.
At that point, I was sold into the idea of AffiloBlueprint to re-learn some of the steps I used to unsuccessfully follow for building affiliate sites. AffiloTheme was offered completely free of cost with the course.
The theme did not earn me hard cash (but the course “kind of” did). But AffiloTheme was my first introduction to really simple themes that are easy to maintain and customize. I was impressed.
- AffiloTheme is the most beginner-friendly theme you can get. While other themes come with documentation, this one comes with a whole set of video tutorials
- Have you seen one of those big one page ads to describe features of a product or service? Those “squeeze pages” (example) are a breeze to create in AffiloTheme
- AffiloTheme has an easy layout generation with a few clicks. You can change colours, background and typography without leaving the WordPress admin page
- When you purchase AffiloTheme you also get access to AffiloTheme Members’ Forum. As per me, this is one of the big advantages that AffiloThemes has against its competitors. The forums are active and full of newbie/intermediary questions. The support staff and other members are helpful
- You will get one year’s worth of hosting for one website. Not really excellent hosting, but better than most shared hosting spaces out there
- You will get free updates for the theme
- The biggest advantage – you can install it on how many ever site you want
Once you create an affiliate site, find for yourself about how easy is it to do that, and earn money – you will never stop there. You want to increase your niche coverage, and take advantage of multiple avenues to make money. There lies the biggest advantage of the unlimited personal licenses of AffiloTheme.
Looking back I sometimes get surprised about my decision to look at other themes!
AffiloTheme costs $97.
Remember that the price includes unlimited updates, the license to install the theme on unlimited sites, and includes one-year hosting.
You can also buy additional themes that run on the AffiloTheme framework. But I have never found the need to do that so far 🙂
3. ClickBump by Scott Blanchard
ClickBump is not just a theme – it is a framework that comes with default themes, and you can add more themes on top of it. ClickBump is quite an old player in affiliate space, and beyond.
The biggest selling point of ClickBump? Speed.
On this side of WordPress where we refuse to customize the heck of it, ClickBump theme framework is the best that money can get. The theme in its latest version 6 ranks at 99 in PageSpeed. Speed was one of the biggest selling factors for ClickBump, and it still is.
The other advantage is simplicity. You will see a tonne of cheap sites out there built for AdSense, ClickBank, Amazon etc. on ClickBump. You have to see this video to see it for yourself as ClickBump is used to get a functional website in 30 seconds.
ClickBump will not get awards for its beauty, but it boasts a clean look that is fully functional.
- ClickBump is a whole system to create and maintain affiliate sites, not a theme. It comes with powerful ways to create content, and to show it to the world. ClickBump enables functionality like Related Posts, Social Sharing, Ad management and so on.
Everything that you need to get started on a WordPress site is in there
- Readers/users can be encouraged to share posts on Social Media by locking content
- Easiest to set up, arguably the quickest as well
- Speed! See the response times improve by just using ClickBump
- The theme is completely optimized for SEO. There is a separate product (also available as a bundle) called “ClickBump SEO”. Using this you can continuously check to see how effective your article is for Google search results as you type them in the WordPress editor.
- The biggest advantage – you can install this in as many of your own websites as you like
You can get ClickBump theme alone for $57.
But, I strongly recommend you get the bundle for maximizing your productivity, and improving your potential rankings in Google. The bundle costs $97.
At this price, you get theme updates and one of the best combinations to get a fast website that is search engine friendly.
I have provided the best affiliate themes for WordPress that money can buy. So, which should you choose?
There is no one right answer.
While all the three are great themes (that’s why they made it to this post), you can choose one based on the type of site you want to build (e.g. Amazon affiliate site looks better on Splash, but works out to be more economical to buy AffiloTheme).
That was all to it folks. A simple decision the look & feel of your affiliate site can be as complex, or as simple as it can be. Comment and let me know what you have used, and why!